Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Cephalopods

I was walking across the wharves in Hobart one summers evening,when just ahead a fisherman pulled up a large bright red squid. It expelled it's ink on the wooden slats of the walkway and as we watched, it slowly changed colour . Glowing bronze with brown pulsating rings then a more transparent gold,icy light blue green and then it was clear.It really made an impression on me and I did some research about cephalopods,apparently they change skin colour to camouflage and to communicate .

2 Comments:

Blogger calamitysue said...

Thats very good,I love it.
Yes I nearly dissapeared into internet cephlapod research today.
I once met a scientist who was studying them ,He was just blown away by how smart octopi are.
Giant squid are ocaisionally washed up on the coast of Tasmania,I saw 2 that were on display at the mueseum.They were huge.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

A really pretty song about a giant squid: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/lyrics/i-crush-everything

...which most of you have already heard. But if you liked it, he's got lots more stuff up at his site. He's a busy guy.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home