Saturday, October 13, 2007

OMG, OMG, ZOMG


I'm so excited I can hardly sit still. I just got Mr. Sorrow the best present EVER: a Sears & Roebuck Silvertone hand-crank victrola and (at rough guess) 250 78s, most still in their original paper sleeves. Found them in a local junk shop. I haven't been through all 3 boxes, yet, but here's a sample of labels:

Old Buckaroo Goodbye -- Gene Autry
Hitler's Last Letter to Hirohito -- Carson Robinson
Horsie Keep Your Tail Up -- Lew Childre (vocal with guitar and yodeling)
We're a Couple of Soldiers (My Baby and Me) -- Bing Crosby
My Little Old Home Down in New Orleans -- Jimmie Rodgers
The Coat and Pants Do All the Work (and the Vest Gets All the Gravy) -- Hoosier Hot Shots

I'm in shock. I thought these finds had all been found back in the 70s.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! That is a total score!! Your fella is going to be mighty happy.
Man, that looks like a fun weekends worth of listening. You better get to crankin'!


(Hidy-Ho, Constance Sorrow!! I forgot my password)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Hidie yourself, girl! I've been so damn busy the last four months that I haven't posted much -- poor Calamity's been hollering into the void all by herself. Hope to fix that now things are slowing down some. How's gigs?

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I love working for tips. I didn't get enough of it while waiting tables...
; ) And drunks, wow, I picked the right line of work!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Ha!! You sing for 'em, I serve 'em. Have you kicked over the traces entirely, or are you still working for the teevee station too?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

That is an amazing find! I have a modest collection of 78's that I love. There are the most amazing obscure songs on 78's.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home