Sunday, May 20, 2007

It'll end in tears

Our neighbors are up from New York. He called us today to say that "our" foxes were on his land and that he was going to have to get a sight for his .22. (They have a cat.) This is something of a hollow threat, as he's legally blind, but we have other neighbors with guns.

I feel guilty. We have no business trying not to disturb them: If they become tame, they're toast. The best thing that could happen is if we could persuade them to move out. The trouble is, then they become someone else's foxes. Not a neighborly thing to do. Still, Mr. Sorrow brought Zeke down for another sniff and a pee, and he let him dig around the den some. Supposedly if we disturb their habitat enough, they'll leave. And then what? Kill some chickens? A cat? Get killed themselves? Damn.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Wornoutmorgan said...

How to keep the humans out, that's the problem here as well. I had misgivings as soon as I read "our neighbours are up from New York...". And gun threats. "Yeah, we just got new nightvision scopes on both the 303's" or "Careful not to fire into our homemade bomb dumps" is how I normally respond, but then I'm ... anti social.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Bix said...

How did you get that photo? Great, great photo.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Well, that's kind of the problem, Bix. I got that photo by beig very careful and respectful of their space for several weeks, so they're not properly afraid of me. They're not looking at me, because Mr. Sorrow was off to the side and distracted them.

Morgan, I fixed the neighbor. I called his wife, who's a city girl and hates guns, and told her what sweet little foxen they are. He's going to be furious with me. Heh.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home